Monday, April 5, 2010

Restaurants - Korea House

Korea House

1640 Post Street
(between Buchanan St & Laguna St)
San Francisco, CA 94115

http://www.koreahousesf.com/

Price: 2 Adults - 1 meat dish and 1 soup, tea ($48 including 15% tip)

After watching an episode of Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmern themed on the bizarre food of "South Korea". My partner and I decided to go get Korean food for dinner. It was a typical rainy evening in San Francisco and we thought that a good helping of comfort Korean comfort food would do the trick.

We ordered the Kal Bi (cooked by the kitchen, not table-side) and a Beef and Vegetable Soup (#13). The Kal Bi was typical Korean Kal Bi (BBQ ribs) and the broth really hit the spot, with it's not to spicy broth, winter vegetables, sprouts, and beef chunks.

As with all korean restaurants, I judge the quality not only by the main dishes, but by the little dishes of pickled goodies that comes with the meal. I did not particularly like the kim chee they served as it was a little two chewy and did not have the vinegary pickled taste that I like. However it did have a good spice to it, so if you like that type of kim chee then you won't be disappointed.

The little dish of steamed bean sprouts tasted like most korean places I have gone too. However, we did enjoy the pickled bounty, as I think food was left only two of the ten little dishes that they served.

What was bizarre to me was that greens, seaweed, and the fermented soybean paste was not served to us with our meal. I am not sure if it was a fluke, or if it was because we did not order the 2 meat minimum to BBQ table-side, however it made us just a bit confused as the fermented soy bean paste seems to me standard for most Korean BBQ places.

However, once we asked, the greens and the soy bean paste came to the table. They did make us pay an additional charge for the seaweed which at first was alraming. However, it was pretty decent quality seaweed and after inspecting the menu again, it did state that seaweed was an extra charge.

Korea House has a good selection of korean beers, so ju, and other spirits. The tea did not have the strong barely flavor that I am used to with korean restaurants in San Francisco.

As I am not korean, I can't testify to their authenticity. But all in all, the meal was very good and the wait staff was courteous and helpful.

looking forward to visiting here again.

No comments:

Post a Comment